Friday, March 1, 2013

Overlooked Perks of being a 'Book Writer'



    When you let it slip that you are in the process of “writing a Book,” or better yet, if you ask anyone if they have ever thought of writing a Book, you will be amazed at the enrichment it instantly brings to your average boring conversation.  Really!  Try it out and see if it is not Verdad!

Example:  Say, you’re at a dull party, or talking to the policeman who comes to your door responding to an unfortunate and misguided neighbor’s complaint, or better yet, try it next week after church!    I dare you to try this! 

At some point there will be a lull in the conversation, a pregnant pause if you will.  The conversation is looking for direction…  In that seminal  moment, just look the other directly in the eye, and ask:

“Have you ever thought of writing a book?”

Try it!!!  There are only 2 possible responses to this inquiry:

1.    “Why, yes I have!  May I run my ideas past you?  (Wow, I’ve been coming to this meeting for over 50 years, and finally someone who wants to talk about something interesting!)”  I guarantee that you will learn more about that person than you could have ever imagined for you will have struck to the core of their passion.  (Let someone else talk about the weather…)

Or,

           2.  “No.”

Do not be dismayed by this response!  If you just bite your tongue, the immutable laws of conversation will soon click into play, and save the day!

       Rules of Conversation 101

1.  Rule One:  When you initiate a conversation, the questions you ask will be the exact same questions that people will ask you back!

                  Example:  Asker – “What do you do for fun?”

                 Askee – “I don’t talk to people like you!”

Well, that was a bad example, but the point is this: You ask a person “Have you ever thought of writing a book?” If they answer “No” they will usually follow with “Have you?”  Good Answer!  Because then you might have 1. A slight opening to convey your passion (or other interest) and 2. You may get a gauge from this focus group (albeit unscientific) on the viability and potential buyer interest regarding your forth-coming (or not) Book project!

If they smile politely after you “launch” (nautical term) and respond with “So, how’s about this weather?” you know right then and there that you do not have to write that Book! 

Win-win!!! 

(I hesitate to bring up the 3rd potential response to this question i.e., “Have you ever thought of writing a book?”

3.  “Why yes I have! 

      I have written dozens of books! 

      Have you not read (even) one??? 

      Perhaps you would you like to buy one?

      Or, several?

      I take checks or cash!”)

Ponderifically yours,

Chris

So, "Have you ever thought of writing a Book?"  
       I dare you to ask the first person you see.
       Then tell me all about it...! 

4 comments:

Emma Shirley said...

Hello Fellow Book Writer!
It's funny that I read your post today because someone just asked me at lunch today if I'd ever thought of writing a book. I said, YES. I am actually hoping to start one today, tomorrow, or soon? The passages I have written seem very lame thus far but maybe I should just write and leave the judging to someone else later. Like a blind/deaf person who will truly appreciate my work. My dog Louie has also read some of my stuff and just loves it. His writings are pretty confusing, full of paw prints and bacon grease but he tries.

In all seriousness though, I really did enjoy reading your passage because I'm always searching for ways to spice up the conversation. Now that I've graduated I need something to make myself sound interesting!

Chris Cushingham, Sr. said...

Dear Ms. Shirley,
It's funny that you commented on my post today because someone just asked me at lunch today if anyone ever commented on my posts. I said, NO! I was actually hoping someone would today, tomorrow or soon. And you did!

In all seriousness though, I really did enjoy your comment. Thanks for spicing up the conversation!

BTW: I'm interested to know, around what topic might you choose to write your Book?

--Myna

Emma Shirley said...

I was excited to see your blog! Such a good topic!

I've always loved fantasy books so I have a few ideas for some. All involve different magical worlds. The plot and characters are missing... Pretty crucial elements, I know. But I do have the setting! I've written a few blurbs but I know need to sit down and seriously write for a few hours to get a start.

What kind of book would you want to write or are in the process of writing?

Chris Cushingham, Sr. said...

Emma, Check out my next blog entry to see what I'm working on. Far from fantasy, it is strictly scientific. Pulitzer material, I'm guessing, (if the Nobel falls through...) The key question is, "Would you buy it?"

Sounds like you might need to collaborate on your Book idea to get it launched (nautical term.) Check with the Mermaid Queen, Goat, or MareBear for characters and perhaps the Wolf Dog for plot? (Getting GOOD material is always the rub...)