Thursday, January 20, 2011

Like I Should Care

I don't go looking for causes much these days.  Each new day brings to my doorstep enough of its own challenges, adventures, and rewards which test and re-test my mettle, and give me a chance to give.  Although I've heard that the race goes to the swift, I have to admit that I am not as fast as I once was, and find myself "in the dust" much of the time.  And actually that is generally O.K. with me.  To be sure, I am still in a race of sorts, but I try to pretty much stay out of other people's way who are in a hurry trying to get to their particularly important place, i.e., "the Cause."  For the world's sake, I only wish them well.  But there is plenty enough for me to do around here.


To be fair, each cause is to be evaluated on the basis of its own merits, and attracts its own set of supporters.  There are zillions of areas of concern, interest and need in life, both great and small.  One does not have to look very far to notice a spot where one might fit in and be a blessing. 


There are many benefits of getting involved with life's needful causes and varied interests.  There is a connectedness, a brotherhood so to speak, that develops among the supporting members of a common cause.  Efforts are expended together; sacrifices are made together; successes and disappointments are shared together.  Change may be effected.  In some new found way, your life matters, and the world becomes a better place.  When you invest the coinage of your time into some pursuit, you trust it will have the return of having been time "well-spent."


I have written before that "I have not been called to change the world, I will leave that for others.  But I have been able to change my world, and for that I am thankful."  You do not need to be among the fastest to stir up a little dust along the way.  But if you are fast and in a hurry, please, do not let me stand in your way.  By all means, go for it!  There is endless work to be done!  Thanks for your effort!


Know what I mean?  There's something for everyone to do. 
There's no law against love.

     

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You mentioned the social benefits of getting involved, but what about the personal benefits? Social connectedness can be achieved while you sit around avoiding involvement with everyone else. I can see how that wouldn't be the best motivation. I think many causes are fueled by people who are going to support the cause because they would be making a personal moral sacrifice if they didn't.

Chris Cushingham, Sr. said...

No doubt there is much personal benefit to be derived in being true to your personal moral compass, especially if it gets you off the couch, and leads to selfless acts of service. That is an admirable quality to be found in notable people of character, as I expect that you have come to recognize.

Serving a cause which is bigger than yourself is a sacrifice of sorts, yes, but, oh, the payback! At the end of the day, we do have to live with ourselves, and when we look at the man in the mirror, it's nice to like what we see!

Although my energy wains, I am encouraged, at times even emboldened, by the causes others take up. There's something for everyone to do.

As for motivation, if you've a mind to contribute to a cause, so organize your life that when it is needed, you have something to give. Whatever your stock in trade, be sure to keep the shelves well stocked.

Thanks for reminding me...

Anonymous said...

Eh, eh...dosen't it say somewhere in an esoteric book not to worry about tomorrow because today has enough challenges..