Thursday, November 11, 2010

Some things I know!

We generally tend to associate with people who look like we look, who dress like we dress, and think like we think.   Because we share some basic core element, we give such people a wider berth, a wider latitude of acceptance in our relationships.  We enjoy the company of people who vote like we vote, who worship like we worship, etc. There is an ease and comfort which fills the air whenever we are surrounded by such wonderfully like-minded souls.  No new story there.

The interesting part to me is, what happens within me when my comfortable world is interrupted by people who are not like me at all?  People who are blatantly (or sometimes even only slightly) different from me:  different in dress, different in thinking, different in values, different in needs, different in expectations.  Why should I even bother to care about them?  They do nothing to reinforce all that I hold dear in my life.

'You're just weird, stay away!'  I catch myself thinking.  'Not the style, nor behavioral choices I, or anyone I know, would have made.  Just plain weird.  There is a name for people like you:  Weirdo!  I don't get it, and I certainly don't get you.  What are you thinking?'

Then when I get back together with my like-minded souls -- we are in pretty constant contact -- Boy!  Do I have a discussion point for us to chew on!  You are not going to believe this!  There are people out there who are SO different from us, have you noticed?

We agree that the world is full of bizarros, and would be a much better place if everyone dressed, thought, and acted like we do....!

(Uh, ya know?  Somehow that thinking just doesn't seem to sound quite right either...)

Let me get back with you on the things that I know!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful discourse. In my humble opinion (IMHO) enemies are in three categories. Outside society, inside society, and in the body of Christ. Those outside need to be rendered harmless before they kill us. They don't usually agree to be disarmed, so they become targets. Those inside society need to be dealt with judicially, since we can't declare war on them. In some situations they can even become allies, go figure. Those in the body of Christ we heap hot coals on their heads to warm/love them up as our ascended commander ordered. What say you?

Chris Cushingham, Sr. said...

Enemy, Weirdo, or Friend? However I am naturally inclined to classify the person who is standing in front of me, I am endeavoring to rise above the easy trap of "embrace/eshew" based on a parochial point of view.

Did Christ sacrifice his life for this person? Perhaps I need to reevaluate my valuation.

Would God grant this person access, should he ask? Daren't I be ready as well?

Enemy, Frenemy, or Friend? I afford each varying degrees of value and access. God is open at all times to all comers. And he has even kicked in the feast.

Steve said...

Not a complete waste of time at all. Indeed, thoughtful musings that many would benefit from considering like you do. :)

Chris Cushingham, Sr. said...

Thanks for adding to the conversation. There is much to ponder...

Unknown said...

Your blog seemed not to speak of "friends" or "enemies' but of generosity of perception. The emphasis seemed to be on the perceivers, the "judgers" of others which includes all of us, and you are suggesting that those who "seem" most like ourselves are who we gravitate to and give the most value. But if we could step out of that comfort zone and see with eyes unbiased by our own limited perceptions and observations, we might be surprised at the value of many who seem to be disparate from ourselves. You seem to encourage stepping out of our "brand" of people, and to at least give a "stranger" a look, a gander of heart, and that that might produce a surprise of a good nature. You are suggesting that we be less homogenized in our minds, slower to judge and pass by those who our initial reactions tell us are "not worth it." And by saying that, you imply that there very well may be much worth in that which we sometimes smugly pass by.
I very much appreciated the blog because it encouraged a non-judgmental perception, and a largess of heart that could include differences of thought, heart, viewpoint etc. I felt that, if I met you, I could feel safe in your company, because you would not be judging me, but giving me a chance and routing for the goodness in me. I was very touched by your blog.